What to Do if You’re Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident

Personal Injury Lawyer

If you or a loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may have suffered physical harm due to no fault of your own. First and foremost, if you are in an automobile accident, see a medical professional as soon as possible. Remain calm, and answer any questions asked by help when they arrive. If you are taking any medication regularly, recently started a new prescription, or have any known allergies, these are all important points to make you’re your emergency provider has prior to treatment. 

As much as we prepare for life, accidents happen. Even with the use of a seat belt, or the protection provided from airbag deployment may not provide enough protection to prevent all injuries. Medical bills are costly and can create severe financial distress. A car accident is life changing, whether a major injury or seemingly minor. From before the ambulance even arrives to take you into the emergency room, the billing has started. Immediate treatment within the emergency room may include x-rays, CAT scans and MRI’s. After proper evaluation, if stable, your doctor may allow you to return home.

Upon release, you will receive information regarding your injuries, and proper ways of caring for yourself through treatment. You may need medical devices such as a pacemaker, crutches, or a sling. You may need cognitive therapy for fear of vehicles. You may need extended physical therapy for continuing injuries, chiropractor visits for back pain. These on-going injuries may prevent you from properly taking care of yourself. In this case, you may need an at-home health aide or in-home care services to assist you until you are well.

Often, those that have been injured suffer emotional distress. The distress may arise from the accident itself, the treatment received, or the impact of the accident on the injured persons life. At times, trauma may form from all of the above.  In or out patient therapy may be required to assist the injured person to coming to terms with and accepting their new way of life.

As you can see, from the emergency room to in-patient treatment, homecare, medications, and lost wages, you need to make sure you are properly compensated from your injuries. In the most catastrophic accidents, you or your loved one may require permanent disability care. This might include a permanent live-in aid, or a long-term care facility. 

Situations like this occur unexpectedly and are both scary any overwhelming to think about. In cases like this, where you or a loved one has been injured through no fault of your own, you need professional and experienced guidance.